A little bit about my past service to AEA!
- I currently serve as an Eastern Principal Delegate, meaning I am a voting member at Equity Conventions. At the 2021 convention, I sponsored two motions:
- Resolution to Open Access to AEA Membership: I was one of a group the drafted a convention resolution to open access to Equity membership to any stage manager or actor who met the NLRB's definition of "professional"--in short, anyone who had been paid for their work as a stage manager or actor. This motion passed at convention. I believe passionately that removing barriers to entry is key to Equity's future strength and in making us a more equitable and diverse union.
- Labor Education as a Prerequisite to Membership: Equity, and every labor union in this country, is at a disadvantage because we are not taught labor history or policy in our schools. I believe educated people are empowered people, and educating our members about what they’re getting into when they join will lead to more engaged, more understanding, and more enthusiastic union members. While this resolution did not make it to the floor during convention due to time, I plan on bringing an updated resolution to convention in 2022.
- In 2021 I served as a member of the Open Access Action Team Leadership board, working with other members to implement and spread the word about Phase 1 of the Open Access Plan Council adopted as part of the D&I retrofit. This service involved outreach to potential members, running town halls and Q&As, and messaging surrounding Open Access.
- I am a member of the newly formed Membership Education and Engagement Action Team, working on programs to educate and active our membership.
- I have observed countless council meetings, committee meetings and other Equity business, getting a handle on Equity policy and politics. I have observed the ways our council works, as well as the ways that it doesn't, and feel ready to hit the ground running on day one to make Equity a better, more empowering union for all of us.